What is the Healthy California Act (SB 562)?
When enacted, the Healthy California Act will guarantee that every resident of California will receive comprehensive healthcare services. It’s like Medicare for All. Individuals will have free choice of licensed health professionals and services. Covered benefits will include services to keep people healthy—mentally and physically—as well as those services that diagnose and treat diseases. In addition to emergency services, surgeries, and hospital stays, services such as home health care, day care and hospice are covered. Vision and dental care are also included. The Healthy California Act has been crafted to provide a single high standard of safe, therapeutic care for all California residents in a manner that is financially sustainable:
- Guarantees healthcare to ALL California residents.
- Choose any provider. No more surprise bills. No out-of-pocket costs for covered services.
- Eliminates co-pays for Medicare Part B.
- Lower prescription drug costs.
- The advances from the Affordable Care Act will be improved upon in the new system.
- Huge cost-savings from reduced insurance company bureaucracy. No more insurance company run-around, no more bill collectors.
- A payroll and income premium, which is higher for upper income earners, would replace insurance company premiums, co-pays and deductibles. No more double-digit premium increases.
- Diverse participants will advise and help design the Healthy California program including: health care professionals and health policy experts, patients and ordinary citizens, representatives of labor and business.